Replay: Ant Group’s Future and Singles Day 2020 Recap
November 11, 2020, 11:00 am - 12:00 pm EST
Please register below to attend this event
Ant Group was poised to shatter the record as the largest initial public offering (IPO) in history1. The future timing of its IPO is now uncertain as the company moves to address new regulations on the way it facilitates consumer loans.
Ant Group’s IPO news comes as Alibaba’s annual 11.11 Singles Day Global Shopping Festival is in full swing. Last year over the course of 24 hours on November 11, Alibaba recorded $38.4 billion of gross merchandise sales2 with Ant Group’s systems processing 459,000 payment transactions per second3, about 7x the max capacity per second of Visa4.
This year, Alibaba’s head-spinning ambition to continually shatter the record from the past year is on the line as questions still linger as to how much pandemic lockdowns affected their customers’ wallets.
In this webinar KraneShares CIO, Brendan Ahern, and China-based Cultural Analyst Xiabing Xu will discuss:
- With its IPO on hold, what's in store for Ant Group's future?
- Alibaba earnings overview
- On the ground look at key trends from Singles Day 2020
- What Singles Day can tell us about the direction of China’s E-Commerce sector heading into 2021
1. Bloomberg, "Ant's IPO Runs Low on Time to Avoid U.S. Election Turbulence", October 9, 2020
2. Harvard Business Review, “For Alibaba, Singles Day Is About More Than Huge Sales”, Quy Huy, December 11, 2019
3. Fintech Today, “How Ant Financial Can Dominate A Post-COVID World”, Ian Kar, September 2, 2020
4. USA About Visa Fact Sheet retrieved November, 2, 2020
Alibaba represented 10.48% of KWEB net assets as of 10/30/2020.
Ant Group scheduled for inclusion into KWEB within 10 business days of IPO.
About the Speakers
Brendan Ahern is the Chief Investment Officer at Krane Funds Advisors, LLC (KFA), which is the provider of KraneShares family of Exchange Traded Funds. Mr. Ahern joined KFA in 2013 and was an original member of the team that launched its first ETFs. He leads the firm’s China research and education efforts. Mr. Ahern actively works with investors on various subjects ranging from asset allocation to trading to articulating the growing influence that index providers hold in the asset management industry. Prior experience includes over ten years with Barclays Global Investors (subsequently BlackRock), which he joined in 2001 during the iShares ETF business rollout. His career has spanned a period of tremendous growth for ETFs, contributing to his profound knowledge of the ETF and passive investment landscape.
The KraneShares ETFs are distributed by SEI Investments Distribution Company (SIDCO), 1 Freedom Valley Drive, Oaks, PA 19456, which is not affiliated with Krane Funds Advisors, LLC, the Investment Adviser for the Fund. Additional information about SIDCO is available on FINRA’s BrokerCheck. r_ks_sei