Replay: The ‘Nasdaq of China’ is Here: Overview of Shanghai’s STAR Market
February 25, 2021, 11:00 am - 12:00 pm EST
Please register below to view this replay
The ‘Nasdaq of China’ is Here: Overview of Shanghai’s STAR Market Thursday, February 25, 2021, 11:00 am - 12:00 pm EST
On January 27th, we launched the KraneShares SSE STAR Market 50 Index ETF (Ticker: KSTR) offering exposure to the SSE Science and Technology Innovation Board (STAR Market) – described in a recent Bloomberg headline as the “Nasdaq of China”.
Since its establishment in July 2019, the STAR Market has grown to a market cap of $288B with an average trading volume of 219mm shares over the last thirty days1. The STAR Market is now one of the largest IPO markets globally2 and a premier listing venue for prominent Chinese “unicorns” – privately held startup companies valued at over $1 billion. In 2020, STAR Market listings accounted for 47% of capital raised across China’s Mainland A-Share market3.
In this webinar KraneShares' Brendan Ahern and Dr. Xiaolin Chen will discuss:
- What is the STAR market, why was it formed, and what differentiates it from other exchange boards?
- How growth-oriented companies listed on the STAR Market differ significantly from companies on other A-share listing venues.
- As select STAR Market companies becoming eligible for the Hong Kong Stock Connect program there could be an influx of new investors.
- Potential MSCI inclusion of Connect-eligible names could benefit the STAR market as a whole.
- Potential diversification benefits from adding STAR Market exposure to portfolios.
Brendan Ahern joined KraneShares in June 2012 to head the firm’s efforts in becoming the leading provider of China-focused exchange traded funds (ETFs) and Chinese investment education for US clients. Since early 2001, Brendan worked for one of the largest global ETF providers where he was an original member of the business development team. His “from the ground up” experience at a global ETF provider allowed him to become intimately acquainted with all aspects of the business. His expertise spans product development, marketing, branding, business strategy, operations, portfolio management, trading, and client execution.
Xiaolin is a Managing Director, Head of International of KraneShares based out of the United Kingdom. Xiaolin oversees investment solutions and strategy efforts and manages the firm’s business outside of the United States. She has extensive experience in both London and New York developing and managing investment solutions to help clients meet a wide range of investment targets and objectives. Xiaolin has covered clients across EMEA, Asia, and the United States and has in-depth onshore and offshore multi-asset investment solution knowledge.
- Data from Bloomberg as of 1/27/2020
- CNBC, “China’s experimental stock board gains 200th IPO just over a year after launching”, December 6, 2020.
- The Asset, “A bumper IPO year despite Covid-19”, December 14, 2020.
The KraneShares ETFs are distributed by SEI Investments Distribution Company (SIDCO), 1 Freedom Valley Drive, Oaks, PA 19456, which is not affiliated with Krane Funds Advisors, LLC, the Investment Adviser for the Fund. Additional information about SIDCO is available on FINRA’s BrokerCheck. r_ks_sei